Do I Need a License to Sell Wine in NJ?

Do you want to open a store in New Jersey and sell alcoholic beverages? If so, you need to obtain a license from the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC). While there are several types of licenses available, the sale and transfer of licensees are generally limited to class “C” licenses. Getting a license is a long process that is made more difficult because New Jersey limits the number of licenses available. Unlike other states where beer and wine licenses differ from licenses for hard alcoholic beverages, New Jersey doesn't distinguish between types of alcoholic beverages.

In addition, all retail dealers must obtain a certificate of tax authorization from the New Jersey Division of Taxation before renewing their license. Because of the limits that New Jersey places on licenses to sell alcoholic beverages and the fact that many different companies are competing for the same type of license, buying a license from someone else is practically the only way to obtain it. If you want to make a transfer from person to person or from one place to another (when you bought a license and opened a new one with it), you'll need to pay 20% of the annual license renewal fee as part of the application process. New Jersey has limited the number of licenses available to 1 for every 3000 people in a given municipality.

The state did not allow producers in other states to ship to residents of New Jersey nor did it allow warehouses in New Jersey to ship to customers in other states. If you're looking for more information about obtaining a license to sell wine in New Jersey, contact the attorneys specialized in the area at Proetta, Oliver & Fay at (73 858-5857). They can provide you with all the necessary information and help you through the process.